Christopher J. Gowen
Of CounselPhone: 301.352.4940
Christopher Gowen joined DeCaro Doran after having been in private practice for fifteen years. He is barred in Maryland, the District of Columbia, Pennsylvania, and Florida. He completed his undergraduate education at Villanova University, graduating in 2000 from Villanova with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration and earned his J.D. from the University of Miami School of Law in 2005.
Chris Gowen’s practice focuses primarily on personal injury, civil negligence, professional malpractice, and domestic relations matters. However, his litigation experience includes, school and education law, Title IX hearings at college and universities, civil rights cases, political litigation, and bar counsel hearings.
Much of Chris’ work involves the representation of children who were victims of abuse, neglect, negligent supervision, wrongful death, professional negligence, and intentional infliction of emotional distress. Chris has a led a charge on behalf of autistic children who were abused and neglected at residential facilities sponsored by the State of Maryland.
Chris is an adjunct law professor at the American University Washington College of Law, where he has taught since 2010 and the University of Baltimore School of Law. Chris has been honored by American University for his teaching and has been designated by Super Lawyers Magazine as a top-rated attorney in the District of Columbia and Maryland. Chris sits on the committee for legal ethics and professional responsibility for the Pennsylvania Bar Association.
Chris began his career as a Public Defender in Miami Dade County and has worked for former President Bill Clinton, former Senator and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, John Kerry, Pennsylvania Governor Tom Wolf, as well as Constitutional Law Professor Michael Higginbotham’s campaign for United States Congress.
Chris has served on several boards of directors for swim and tennis clubs and other athletic organizations in Maryland. Chris lives in Crofton and his hobbies include tennis, golf, and sailing.
- Domestic Relations and Children’s Rights
- General Liability
- Motor Vehicle, Trucking & Transportation
- Product Liability
- Medical Malpractice and Healthcare Defense
- Professional Malpractice
- Title IX, Education and School Liability Law
- Toxic and Environmental Tort
- Villanova University (B.S., Business Administration, 2000)
- University of Miami School of law (J.D., 2005)
- 2012, Maryland
- 2010, District of Columbia
- 2015, Pennsylvania
- 2005, Florida
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- American Association for Justice
- Maryland Association for Justice