Thomas L. Doran
Thomas Doran is one of the founding partners of DeCaro, Doran, Siciliano, Gallagher & DeBlasis, LLP, and has served as Managing Partner since its inception.
Born in 1956 in Washington, D.C., Mr. Doran graduated from the University of Maryland, magna cum laude, with high honors in Economics in 1978, and obtained his Juris Doctorate from the University of Maryland School of Law in 1982. Following a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Kenneth K. Hall, United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, he entered private practice.
Mr. Doran is barred in Maryland and the District of Columbia and regularly appears before the state and federal courts in those jurisdictions. Additionally, he has represented clients before the Maryland Court of Appeals, the D.C. Court of Appeals, the United States Court of Appeals and the Maryland Health Care Alternative Dispute Resolution Office. Mr. Doran’s practice focuses on Professional Liability, including healthcare providers, lawyers, architects, engineers, officers, directors and other professionals. He also represents individual healthcare providers before the Maryland Board of Physicians, the Maryland Board of Nursing, the Maryland Board of Dental Examiners, and the Maryland Board of Pharmacy.
As a senior partner, Mr. Doran has well over thirty years of experience in handling complex civil litigation. Currently, his practice is concentrated in the areas of professional liability, medical malpractice, toxic tort, general liability, and insurance coverage litigation. Additionally, Mr. Doran handles health care law, compliance, commercial and contract law. He also serves as a mediator and arbitrator in alternative dispute resolution matters.
In addition to his responsibilities as Managing Partner, Mr. Doran also serves as the Hiring Partner and manages the firm’s Summer Associate Program. The firm’s Summer Associate Program has become so successful that area law schools seek out the firm’s participation in their career development programs and job fairs.
Mr. Doran has also been an active member of the Themis Advocates Group, a national organization of preeminent civil defense litigation firms, as well as serving as an expert on legal and coverage issues and as a speaker before national organizations on insurance defense issues.
- Insurance Coverage
- Medical Malpractice and Healthcare Defense
- Product Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Toxic and Environmental Tort
- University of Maryland (B.A., magna cum laude, with high honors in Economics, 1978)
- University of Maryland Graduate School of Economics, Phi Beta Kappa
- University of Maryland (J.D., 1982)
- Assistant Editor, Maryland Law Review, 1979-1981
- Law Clerk to the Honorable Kenneth K. Hall, United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit, 1982
- 1983, Maryland
- 1983, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit
- The Maryland Bar
- The District of Columbia Bar
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association, Section of Litigation
- Prince George’s County Bar Association
- Federal Trial Bar
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Defense Research Institute
- Maryland Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Themis Advocates Group
- Maryland and D.C. Society for Healthcare Risk Management/MD-DC SHRM
- Nance v. Gordon, 210 Md. App. 26, 62 A.3d 185 (2013).
- Debbas v. Nelson, 389 Md. 364, 885 A.2d 802 (2005).
- Staab v. American Motorists Ins. Co., 345 Md. 428, 693 A.2d 340 (1997).
- Giant Food v. Mitchell, 334 Md. 633, 640 A.2d 1134 (1994).
- Prince Philip Partnership v. Cutlip, 321 Md. 296, 582 A.2d 992 (1990).